RAPID Discovery is a feature of the Live Optics collector that scans a customer environment using Active Directory and network port scanning to identify network devices (servers, laptops, switches, printers, storage arrays). The tool further enhances the discovered assets by using a mix of WMI and SSH protocols to obtain additional details about the servers and devices that it discovers.
Complete a RAPID Discovery collection
Open the Live Optics collector and select Server & Cloud. Choose RAPID Discovery from the list of asset types and click Next.
- Click Next on the Upload Option screen.
- Select Network Scan or Search Active Directory on the next screen.
- For Network Scan enter one or more IP Ranges, DNS network names, hostnames, or individual IP addresses. Multiple ranges can be provided, separated by either commas or lines. You can also specify an alternate IP Address for the DNS server.
- For Search Active Directory, provide a domain name or LDAP path. There is also an option to specify an alternate IP Address for the DNS server. When RAPID Discovery queries Active Directory, it replies with a list of server host names. RAPID Discovery uses DNS to resolve these server names into IP addresses. If RAPID Discovery cannot resolve the server name, it will not ping, or use WMI or SSH to further query the target. If the hostname does not resolve, RAPID Discovery assumes the target is unreachable. Once you connect to Active Directory, a list of Organizational Units might be presented. Check Select All or check/uncheck individual organizational units to include them in the RAPID Discovery project output.
NOTE: Normally, the optional DNS IP Address is not needed. However, different sub-networks, lab environments, and private networks are often set up with private DNS systems, and are isolated from standard networks. To access these environments the optional DNS IP address is often required. If you do not provide an optional DNS IP address, the default DNS settings are used to resolve the hostnames.
- If authentication is required, a notification displays on screen prompting you to enter your username and password. Cancelling the authorization prompt, providing incorrect credentials, or failing to provide any credentials generates an authentication denied error message.
- Use the filter button to select and sort objects from the list. You can save this configuration for future use by clicking Save Configuration. This creates a JSON file that you can import into RAPID Discovery by selecting Import Configuration.
- You can run additional, deeper scans of either the WMI or SSH types. For these scans, you must provide credentials (username and password), using the Credential Manager.
- Once the collection has completed, click Generate Excel Report.
For Excel report definitions, see: https://support.liveoptics.com/hc/en-us/articles/4408552652187