Live Optics now supports the profiling of Isilon storage arrays. Supported releases are for Isilon OneFS 8.x .
Using the Live Optics collector, configuration and performance data is captured, analyzed, and compiled into a Project. The user can download a PPT file that contains the configuration and performance information, and an XLSX file that contains the detailed configuration information.
This document outlines the process to produce an Isilon array storage profile.
- Download the Live Optics Collector (Windows .NET version)
- Launch Live Optics Collector
- Click Get Started
- Click “Yes, I agree” to accept the End User License Agreement (prompted only on first execution)
- Click “Yes, this is me” after verifying your identity is correct (prompted only on first execution)
- Select Storage from the left menu
- Select Isilon
- Enter the Isilon array IP address
- Enter the admin username and password
- For Performance reporting enter the duration of the time for the collection
- Click Continue to gather data from these legacy systems
- Select the Upload Option, either upload automatically (recommended) or upload later
- Click Next
- If upload automatically was selected, enter the project name to be created, click Next
- If upload later was selected, enter the file name and directory to save the .SIOKIT file
Collection time will be displayed during the entire collection process, it will contain the status, start/end times and time remaining
- After the files are processed and if upload automatically was selected, the data will be sent to the Live Optics portal with NO action required from the user
- An option to create a SIOKIT for backup is provided, this can be skipped or the file can be created at this time
- If upload later was selected, the SIOKIT will need to be manually uploaded to the Live Optics portal.
- Click Quit to exit the application
Download and run the Live Optics Windows collector software
- There are two methods to download the collector software:
- From the email you received from your systems consultant inviting you to Live Optics by clicking the Download Collector link.
- From the Live Optics portal, select Collectors from the left menu, then Download Collector. For more information on how to download a Live Optics collector, please see knowledge base article Download the Live Optics Collector Either option will bring you to the Download Collectors page.
NOTE: the collector can run on any host with IP connectivity to the storage array being profiled
Start Profile Selection Process
Select Storage from the list of Profile Types
- Select Isilon from the list of storage array models
Identify the Array to Gather the Data
- Enter the array IP address, username, and password. The username should be the admin or admin equivalent account
- There is a choice to Collect Config & Performance or Collect Config Data only
- For Collect Config & Performance select the Performance Duration from the drop-down box. The duration is the time period the collector will run to collect the real-time performance data
- Once entered, click Next
Start the Configuration Collection
- The collector will connect to the array and capture the data
Select the Method to Upload to the Live Optics Portal for Processing
- Selecting the default, “Upload my collection data to the Live Optics web portal automatically” is the recommended method. Once the collection is complete, the data is automatically uploaded to the Live Optics portal. Use this option when the host running the collector has Internet access
- There is an option to upload later. This will save the configuration and performance data to an encrypted file, named [hostname]_Isilon.siokit. The file is written to the same folder the collector was executed. Use this option when the host running the collector does not have Internet. Instructions for uploading the .siokit can be found at the end of these instructions
- Once selected, click Next.
- Enter the name of the project for your array profile. Click Next.
Start the performance collection
- During the collection process, Start/End Time and Time Remaining are displayed
- There is an option to Stop the collection before the selected time period
- If the collection is stopped, the information that has been collected will be uploaded to the Live Optics portal
Upload the data to the Live Optics portal
- Once the collection has ended (or stopped) the files are processed and automatically uploaded to the web portal
- During the upload, a status bar indicates the progress. As storage array data can be quite large, the upload may take some time to complete depending on the speed of the Internet connection
- The collector will indicate when the upload has completed
Create a backup file of the data
- A choice will be provided to back up the project via a SIOKIT. There is a choice to skip this option or create a backup file.
- Identify the file name and the save location of this file
The process has completed successfully
- Once the upload has completed. Click Quit to close the collector
- An email from Live Optics will be sent when the project is ready for viewing on the web portal
Uploading the SIOKIT (applies only if the “upload later” was selected)
- The Live Optics collector software is used to upload the SIOKIT files using the Windows collector. See knowledge base article Uploading SIOKIT file in the Live Optics collector
View Project Results
- Log in to the Live Optics web portal https://www.liveoptics.com
- Recent projects are listed on the dashboard
- Select the project
- Click on the project name to download the Config and/or Performance PPT, an Excel file (XLXS), share the project with other Live Optics users, or delete the project)