This document outlines the quick start guide to use Live Optics. For more information on Live Optics see knowledge base article What is Live Optics?
Download Live Optics Collector Software
To begin using your Live Optics account, you should first download the collector software by following these steps (if you are new then sign up for a free account at https://liveoptics.com/)
- Login to your Live Optics portal account https://www.liveoptics.com If you have never logged into Live Optics before, go to https://www.liveoptics.com/signup and request your account be created or contact your Dell Sales Team and request they register you to the Live Optics portal.
- Click Collectors -> Download Collectors buttons on the dashboard.
- Choose the correct version of the LiveOptics software based upon OS (most users will download Windows, but Linux version is also available) and click the Download button for it.
- Once the file download has completed, extract the Live Optics software, user guide, and additional documents to a directory on the computer where you wish to run it.
Run Live Optics Collector Software
- Open LiveOptics directory and double-click LiveOptics.exe.
- Click "Get Started" after selecting your language. (Default is English)
- Click the "Yes, I agree" button to accept the EULA.
- Confirm your name/company is listed on the Live Optics User Identity screen and click the “Yes, it is correct” button.
Select the Collector
Choose from the following categories;
- Server & Cloud: Live inventory and performance insight of hosts and VMs regardless of platform or vendor.
- Data Protection: Insight to platform specific backup and protection cycles as well as the capacity being protected.
- Storage: Detailed break down at the hardware appliance level of configuration and performance.
- File: Rapid characterization of storage growth, files types, and predictive potential for archive, compression, or deduplication.
- Workloads: Insights to machine and installation details, supported SQL-specific features, a list of databases, database size, etc. This type of understanding is beneficial to understand what databases are within which Instance and on what host the SQL Database is installed on; this is perfect for inventory taking.
View Live Optics Project
The Live optics portal will automatically create a project for your chosen collector run that is streamed back to the Live Optics servers. To access the Live Optics project created for your collector run(s), follow these steps.
- Login to your Live optics portal account. (https://www.liveoptics.com)
- Scroll down the dashboard to "Recent Projects". For information on how to search for projects, see knowledge base article How To Search for Projects in the Live Optics Portal
- You should see a new project ending with the date and time of when Live Optics was started.
- Click the project name to review the Optical Prime Project.
If you did not stream the Live Optics collector data back to the Live Optics servers, and instead ran a SIOKIT collection then you will have to create your Live Optics project. To create your project, the following steps should be completed
- Login to your Live Optics portal account www.liveoptics.com
- Select “Projects” tab then Click "Upload SIOKIT". Currently only Optical Prime SIOKIT files can be uploaded via the portal. For all other categories, you can upload SIOKIT files using the collector by clicking the Upload SIOKIT file button.
- Enter the name of the project being created
- Click Browse and locate the SIOKIT file the Live Optics software created. Click Open. (The normal location for SIOKIT files is within the Live Optics folder).
- Click Upload SIOKIT.
- When prompted to be redirected to the project page, click "Yes". You will be instantly taken to your project.
Congratulations! You have created your first Live Optics project and are now able to view chosen data. You can run Live Optics as many times as you would like and create as many projects as you desire. We encourage you to run it as often as you see fit to help you understand your current and future data resource usage.
Live Optics How To Video
The Live Optics Team has also created a narrated tutorial embedded below demonstrating how to run the Live Optics software on your computer. In the video below, the Team run an Optical Prime collection. For more information on running a specific collection type, please visit the Live Optics Support home page and select your chosen category.
Still can’t find what you need?
Speak to Live Optics Support by Creating A Ticket. You must be logged in to send a ticket to Support.