Instructions for Performing a San Health collection
Dell EMC SAN Health Profile
December 2, 2019
The Dell EMC SAN Health utility collects data from any SAN environment and produces a detailed Excel spreadsheet and PowerPoint detailing the SAN Configuration. Directors and switches supported include Dell EMC Connectrix, Brocade, McData, Cisco, and Cisco Nexus.
- Download the Live Optics Collector (Windows .NET version)
- Launch Live Optics Collector
- Click Get Started
- Click “Yes, I agree” to accept the End User License Agreement (prompted only on first execution)
- Click “Yes, this is me” after verifying your identity is correct (prompted only on first execution)
- Select Storage from the left menu
- Select SAN Health
- Click Download Utility
- Open the install-emc-san-health.zip file
- Click on InstallSANHealth408b_EMC.exe
- Extract all the files to server
- Execute InstallSANHealth408b_EMC.exe – this will install the Broadcom tool
- Follow the direction for installation
- Select New at the top of the menu bar to open the details page
- Enter switch and fabric information
- Start the audit
Download the Live Optics Windows Collector Software
- From the Live Optics portal, Download Collectors can be selected from the left menu or from the radio button on the main screen
- To perform storage array profiles, download the Windows collector
NOTE: the Windows collector requires .NET 4.5 or greater to be installed on the host running the collector
- Click the Download button to start the download. A file named LiveOptics.zip will be downloaded
- Once the file download completes, extract the contents of the zip file to the host where the software will run. The Live Optics collector does not install like a typical Windows application. Extracting the zip file is all that is needed to run the collector
- NOTE: the collector can run on any host with IP connectivity to the storage array being profiled
Run the Live Optics Collector Software
- Navigate to the directory where the Live Optics collector software is downloaded
- Run LiveOpticsDotNet4_5
- Click the “Yes, I agree” button to accept the End User License Agreement
NOTE: This question only appears the first time the collector software is run
- Confirm the name and company is correct and click “Yes, this is me”
- If the invitation to run Live Optics was from the Dell Systems Consultant, their information will also be listed
NOTE: This question appears the first time the collector software is run
Start Profile Selection Process
- Select Storage from the list of Profile Types
- Select SAN Health from the list of storage array models
Click on Download Utility
Install the SAN Health Utility
- The Dell EMC SAN Health utility is delivered in a .ZIP file
- The .ZIP file contains the utility and a “Tips and Tricks” PDF file with runtime instructions
- Click on the InstallSANHealth408b_EMC file
- Click on Extract all
- Select folder where ZIP should store the file
- Click Extract
The SANHealth Utility installation .exe will be extracted from the .zip file
Click on InstallSANHealth408b_EMC.exe to start the Installation
- The initial SAN Health installation screen will appear
- Click Next
- Review the terms of the license agreement. If you agree to the terms, check the box next to “I agree to these terms and conditions” and click next
- Install folder location and complete audit and working folder location screen (Default values are recommended)
- Click Install
- Once installation has completed, click "Finish" to exit the installer.
- The screen should automatically open when install is complete OR
- Locate the "San Health 4" desktop icon and double-click to run.
- The screen includes helpful links to videos, the San Health support matrix and options for getting assistance.
Run the SAN Health Utility
- Enter your site details including the user and company information. You must enter a valid email in the “Report Return” field, otherwise you will not receive any results.
- If applicable, check the box for “Another company you are working with” and enter the email address of your Dell EMC Sales Engineer. This will cause the reports generated to be sent directly to their email address.
- Click on “Add Switches” and enter the credentials for your switches. The tool will only gather statistics on devices where the credentials are identified.
- Click on “Fabric” and enter the details of your fabric
- Click on “Switch” in the tree view display and review the details for your switches.
- Click on Start Audit to start collecting information of your SAN
- You will receive a full report via email in approximately 48 hours