Cloud pricing based on peak usage takes the peak usage of vCPUs and memory, the used storage capacity of on-prem VMs assessed by Optical Prime, and queries the price of hosting the assessed VMs on the three main cloud providers (AWS, Azure, and Google Cloud). Pricing options are provided for three tiers (On-Demand, 1-year, and 3-year).
Note: Cloud pricing based on peak usage is available for VMware environments only. Peak usage values are not available for non-VMware environments.
Locating Cloud Pricing Based on Peak Usage Information
Cloud pricing is only available through Optical Prime so you must run an Optical Prime collection. A new tab for cloud pricing based on peak usage called Cloud Pricing Peak Usage has been added to the general Optical Prime Excel spreadsheet and only displays if there are running VMware VMs in your environment.
To view cloud pricing based on peak usage information, download the Excel report from the Reports menu in Optical Prime. Cloud pricing based on peak usage is also available through PAPI.
- Cloud pricing based on peak usage is available only for running VMWare VMs with both peak vCPU and peak memory greater than zero.
- If a VM is idle, not running on a VMWare environment, or has no peak usage for vCPU or memory, it will be excluded from the Cloud Pricing Peak Usage
- Cloud pricing based on peak usage is not yet available on the portal view or in AIR PowerPoint slides
We use the following factors to price nodes:
- Pricing is based on the below peak usage parameters for each of the assessed nodes:
- Peak vCPU usage
- Peak memory usage
- Operating system
- Used storage capacity
- Pricing is based on the below fixed assumptions from the provider:
- VMs are running 24/7 for an entire month
- Currency: US Dollars (USD)
- Region: Selected by the user from 12 supported regions (default is US East)
- Monthly aggregation of the price
- Pricing is done for guest VMs
- Pricing is based on SSD storage options
- Burstable instances are excluded from our pricing model
- Pricing includes the base license price for the operating system
- Pricing is for shared tenancy
We display the pricing of convertible reserved instances for 1-year and 3-year pricing
SSD storage (GP2)
Zonal SSD persistent disk
We do not display pricing for:
· Low power instances (example A0àA7)
· Promotional SKUs
Smart Approximation Logic
We use the following smart approximation logic to display pricing in cases where no direct matches are available:
- Round up for vCPU.
- Round down for vMEM if the difference is <=10% of the original value with a ceiling of 6GB. If the difference is greater, we round up.
Results for smart approximation:
Price Matched Field
Matched against instance name = X
No direct match found. Used nearest largest configuration with instance name = X, vCPU = Y, vMEM = Z
Configuration not available